Monday, August 1, 2011

Full Circle

I always know I'm on the right path when things come full circle. They may not happen frequently or regularly, or even certainly, but they do happen.

Recently, I've had many events punctuate the end of one phase of my life as I get ready to embark on a new one.

 


This laser cut has been in my booth (my ex-garmentista-cum-internship-administrator ephemism for "cubicle") for 2 years. I held onto it because I thought it was interesting even though I had no idea who made it or where it came from. Today, one of my mentors, Michael X. Ryan, came by to say "good-bye" before I leave for grad school and reminisce on our days working together in SUGS. It was also my opportunity to say how much I learned from him as an instructor. He is probably one of the most influential artists with whom I have been fortunate to work as far as how I look at work, make work, and exhibit work. WOW, I DID learn a lot from him.

Posted by Picasa

This drawing was done in collaboration with Ladies Ring Shout. It is profound how working with these talented women is preparing me, again, for this next phase in my life, work, and career. It marks my transition into pursuing my passion whole-heartedly--stripping away the fluff, putting on the blinders, and focusing on what is truly important to me and what truly makes me happy. This is my largest undertaking to date and even though it was a challenge, I am astounded how naturally it all came together. Special thanks to Chris Nightengale, who helped make it all happen and enlisted the help and resources of Dolan Geiman.

We just had another run through last night and yet again it left me stirred, inspired, and energized. Ladies Ring Shout is epic. It will resonate with your soul and chill you to the core. It's an experience NOT to be missed.

My last day at SAIC Co-op is August 12, 2011. I will be having a Bon Voyage Party/Tot Ziens Feestje at People Tapas Lounge that evening around 10-ish. My friend, DJ Alo, will be playing with the usual suspects, I'm sure. Then...on to the next.